We've marched and we've rallied. Now we need to help Democratic candidates get elected--even in those down-ballot races that are uphill battles. Come to our office on May 24 and learn how you can volunteer to help elect more Democrats to represent us in Palatine Township. Sign up here.
Good Protesters Show Up
Republicans think they are winning
But you know what? Illinois Republicans believe they are going to win and win big in November. Every Republican candidate for governor has pledged to repeal all of Illinois' abortion protections. Republican legislators like State Sen. Dan McConchie (26th) have already drafted bills repealing every abortion rights bill that has been signed in Illinois. (McConchie is now the State Senator for the western half of Palatine Township.) They're even going after contraception and in-vitro fertilization.
It's time to organize
For too long, our state rep has been an anti-abortion-in-all-situations, anti-LGBTQ, anti-public schools, pro-gun extremist. Under the new maps, in Palatine Township we have a chance this year to flip Illinois House and Senate districts. We have a chance to elect Maria Peterson to McConchie's Senate seat. That's Maria Peterson on the left, as we canvassed together last week. We need to re-elect State Sen. Ann Gillespie (27th) and State Rep. Mark Walker (53rd). We need to elect Mary Beth Canty as State Rep (54th) And we have two really good candidates vying for the 51st House seat: Chelsea Laliberte Barnes and Nabeela Syed.
But we can't do it without you.
Illinois is a beacon to the nation
We need your help. Sign up here.
We remember the dark Rauner years, when Illinois didn't have a budget or the money to help the people of Illinois. Here's how things have changed, thanks to Gov. JB Pritzker and Lt. Gov Juliana Stratton. Note: this is just a small part of the massive changes that JB and Juliana have brought to Illinois.
1. Illinois raised the minimum wage from $8.75 to $15 per hour. JB and Juliana advocated for and signed into law this historic measure that meant 1.4 million workers got a pay raise.
2. Illinois is getting its fiscal house in order. JB proposed and passed a balanced budget--this is huge--it means we are being fiscally responsible. We're paying our bills on time--under Rauner, Illinois was taking SEVEN MONTHS to pay its bills. Small businesses who provided services to the state were going out of business because they were not getting paid. Now, we are paying our bills in less than two weeks. AND we've had THREE credit rating upgrades in the last year! It's the first time in 20 years that Illinois has had even one credit upgrade, let alone THREE! This means that credit agencies agree that Illinois is on the right track.
3. Illinois protects the Right to Choose. Reproductive freedom is now protected as state law, so that if/when Roe v. Wade falls this summer, Illinois will still protect the rights of those who can get pregnant. In fact, Illinois is a beacon for Reproductive Freedom in the Midwest, because every state that surrounds us has passed laws making abortion illegal, should Roe fall.
4. Illinois is rebuilding its infrastructure. JB's program Rebuild Illinois has created 500,000 jobs, as we devote more money to rebuilding our roads, bridges, railways, waterways and schools. Even the Illinois Section of the Society of Civil Engineers, which documented the need to make infrastructure a priority, said, "the future is bright...These investments will also help Illinois capitalize on our geographic advantage, which in turn will promote growth for our state's economy and citizens."
5. Illinois is expanding its healthcare. Under JB, Illinois cut the Medicaid backlog left by Rauner, giving healthcare to nearly 130,000 more Illinoisans. He capped the price of insulin, a life-saving medicine. He strengthened critical access hospitals in rural areas. And he provided $3.8 billion to hospitals to increase access to medical treatment in underserved communities. And he increased funding for crisis mental health services, suicide prevention, and substance abuse treatment.
There is so much more JB and Juliana have accomplished! You can see more at https://jbpritzker.com/issues/ Now you have good news you can talk about with your neighbors!