On Monday, Oct. 28, GPAD is holding a public meeting at Palatine Library so we can all learn about the "Restoring Our Democracy" bill. In January the new Congress introduced the Bill, H.R. 1. This Bill (yes now it's only a Bill) has another name: "For the People Act of 2019." And it is full of delightful measures to expand voter registration, improve election security and government ethics. And expand the ban on foreign nationals contributing money to influence our elections. Because sometimes, there oughta be a law.
Indivisible and Northwest Suburban Organizing For Action will present "H.R. 1--For the People Act of 2019 & Campaign Finance Reform," from 7 to 8:30 p.m. at Palatine Library, 700 N. North Court, Palatine, in the large meeting room. What is in this Bill?
- It expands voter registration and voting access
- Makes Election Day a federal holiday
- Limits removing voters from voter rolls
- Provides for states to establish independent, nonpartisan redistricting commissions
- Provides for increased election security
- Improve cybersecurity of election systems
- Expands ban on foreign nationals contributing or spending on elections
- Expands disclosure rules pertaining to organizations spending money during elections
- addresses campaign ads and online platforms
- Requires code of ethics for federal judges
- prohibits Members of the House from serving on boards of for-profit entities
- The bill also requires candidates for President and Vice President to submit 10 years of tax returns.
The U.S. House passed this wonderful Bill in March, and sent it on its way to the U.S. Senate. Now this Bill is sitting there on Capitol Hill, waiting for the Senate to act so it can be A Law. Oh, we hope and pray that they will.
Showing 1 reaction
Sign in withFacebook Twitter