Palatine Township Democrats on Tuesday nominated a slate of candidates to run for the Palatine Township Board in the April 6, 2021 Consolidated Election. The candidates
were nominated at the Palatine Township Democratic Caucus, held on Tuesday, Dec. 1. About 36 local Democrats gathered online and at the Palatine Park District’s Community Center to select the candidates. Under pandemic guidelines approved last month by Gov. J.B. Pritzker, the state-mandated caucuses were encouraged to meet online to protect the health of participants.
The Township elections are the only partisan elections in the Consolidated Election. All other races are non-partisan.
“Palatine Township has been represented by Republicans for generations, but this is not your father’s Palatine Township,” said Maria Galo, Democratic Committeeperson for Palatine Township. “The township board should reflect the diversity of our community. We think the Township can provide services to more people at a lower cost to taxpayers.”
The Democratic candidates for the Township Board are
- For Township Supervisor: Melissa Ortega, who has a Master’s Degree in Counseling and has worked in this field for WINGS and Alexian Brothers Center for Mental Health. Melissa currently works for the local corporation Nation Pizza & Foods as a Customer Service Specialist where she has been employed for twenty years.
- For Township Clerk: Tracy Boland has a Master’s Degree in Math Education, and is a math tutor at Harper College. She is currently in her second term as a Trustee at Palatine Library District.
- For Highway Commissioner: Matt Flamm, a business lawyer who was President Obama’s northwest suburban organizer.
- For Township Trustee:
- Thakar S. Basati, a founding member of POC, Partners for Our Communities, founding President of Punjabi Cultural Society, active on many nonprofit boards including the Interfaith and Asian American Coalition of Chicago. He has lived in Palatine since 1991.
- Megan Gawlik is a Catholic school teacher and Rolling Meadows homeowner. This summer she earned a Post-Crisis Leadership Certificate from the University of South Florida. Megan served on the Rolling Meadows Census Committee and is the Kitchen Coordinator of the St. Colette PADS Shelter. She is a graduate of DePaul University.
- Nathaniel Groh is a community organizer, political consultant, Journeys | The Road Home Young Professionals Board Member. He is former District Office Director for State Rep. Mark Walker. He is a Palatine homeowner.
- Deanna Santman has worked in the banking industry for nine years where she has held several leadership positions. She is on the board for the Women’s Connect Employee Business Resource Group and is a community activist focusing on diversity and inclusion. She has a bachelor’s degree in liberal arts, and post-graduation she taught English as a Second Language in South Korea for two years. She is a Palatine homeowner.
As the candidate for Township Supervisor, Ortega said, "I am looking forward to introducing our team to the residents of Palatine Township. The people of our township deserve a unified board that works together to meet the needs of the community.”
Contact: Maria Galo, Democratic Committeeperson, Palatine Township
[email protected] cell: 847 507 7043